Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rich's Wild Hummus Pizza Sauce! - Pizza from scratch 1 of 3

The hardest thing about making this pizza sauce was coming up with a title for it! :) I think I spent more time staring at the screen trying to come up with something that will do it justice, than I did prepping the sauce. So I decided to keep it simple.  As it is my favourite , so far anyway ;)
Ive been making Pizza at home for a long time,  just not completely from scratch. I used to buy all these fresh, healthy and wonderful toppings and then pile them on top of a pre-made crust and use store bought sauce ... which between the two usually cost as much as the toppings ??  Tasted pretty good. Certainly better than frozen , or most take outs.  Still, it just never made sense to me to spend that much for sauce and bread?? So a couple of years ago I started making my own sauces, at first using canned tomatoes and paste as a base...  and finally this year with fresh tomatoes from my garden. Now that it is November here in Canada , local hot house ones will have to do :) 

This should make enough for three 12" pizza crusts, You will need:
  • 3 of your favourite tomatoes, I used Ontario hot house ones for this one.
  • 3 tablespoons secret ingredient ( revealed below :)
  • 3 Mushrooms, usually I would use cremini mushrooms, but had white ones on hand.   
  • 1/2 of a medium red onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • A few shakes of Italian Herb ( or basil, oregano, rosemary )
  • 2 Roasted Red Peppers ( leftover from making hummus :) 



Roughly chop the tomatoes, mushrooms, and onion .  Mince the garlic. 

Warm a small saucepan with some splash of sunflower oil, add most of the garlic and onion , saving a pinch of each..  sizzle for a couple of minutes.

Add the chopped mushrooms , and continue for a couple more minutes. 

Remove from the pan, reserve this for a little later. 

In the same saucepan,  drop in the tomatoes, red pepper, and the raw garlic & onion saved from above.  A few cracks of fresh black pepper , a pinch or two of sea salt, Italian seasoning and a couple of glugs of olive oil. Simmer on a medium heat, stirring every ten minutes or so. Set a timer for 45 minutes, it should get you close. 


After about 45 minutes,  it should looks something like this..  not quite solid,  but getting a thicker.  If its too watery , you can turn up the heat , and reduce it alot quicker while stirring more frequently.  I'm usually prepping the rest of the pizza toppings , or baking the crust while this is simmering so I go for the low and slow method and will just leave it simmering for another 20 minutes if needed. 

Add in the special ingredient :) My Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic Hummus ( See link below for a how to ) the reserved onions and mushrooms.
 http://richfletchersgoodfoodrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/11/roasted-red-pepper-garlic-hummus.html

Just give it a quick stir and a few minutes simmering to help blend the flavours.

If you have one, use your stick blender.. or transfer to a food pro or blender. 
I MUST add at this point,  blending in a small saucepan does NOT work !! lol

I recommend transferring to a medium/large heat resistant measuring cup for the blending process :) 
   
And that is it , you have an amazing ,healthy and tasty pizza sauce .. all that is left is to spread it on your pizza crust or flat bread :) 
I hope you liked my new favourite pizza sauce. Please check back soon, or sign up for the email notifications, for part two .. how to make your own 12 grain pizza dough : ) I was hoping someone could help me out with a better title ? Any suggestions ??  

Happy Cooking!
Rich 
    

Pizza Sauce on FoodistaPizza Sauce

4 comments:

  1. How 'bout "Rich's Good Food Revolution" Pizza Sauce. You could bottle it under your label and sell it :D You know - like Paul Newman does. LOL!!

    I hope you're planning a cookbook with all these recipes indexed cuz I need to be organized so I can find stuff. I know this bc I'm never organized and can never find anything. LOL!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindy! Im trying to find a widget that will allow me to organize them by subject on here.. then after a few months worth of them I should have enough to give it a try:) Ill be sure to send you a proof copy for your opinion when I do ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Rich, this looks wildly flavorful! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Andrea!! That just gave me the title Ive been looking for .. Rich's Wild Hummus Pizza Sauce :) ??

    ReplyDelete