Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chicken Caserole .. Day 2 :) Creative Leftovers

Is anyone else like me?   Maybe one or two people eating, yet you cook for 6 , or even 10 at time... only to have to eat the same dish for 3 days in a row?   Until you so sick of it you don't make it for a year ? Well, I do this all the time ! I'm trying to stop, but for some reason .. when I grab a crock pot or a dutch oven ,  I just have to fill it up !!  LOL I am getting better , I'm down to cooking for 6 , instead of 10 like last year .  However this has taught me to be extremely creative with my leftovers turning them in to all sorts of interesting to eat treats. This week, it was Chicken Casserole. that started it off :)
This was a great dinner,  Chicken Casserole, loaded with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms,  peppers, carrots, broccoli and I used a 6 bean medley instead of potatoes for a change :)


For this dish you will need per person:

  • Leftovers, about two cups, chopped in bite sizes - Warmed up
  • One Medium/Large Yukon Gold Potato - Baked
  • Butter, Sea Salt & Black Pepper, Chili Powder
  • Mozzarella and aged Cheddar ( Or your favourite cheeses ) - Shredded
  • Oven Safe Plate or Dish

Baked your potato for about an hour at 360F, I simply wash mine and prick the skin a few times with a fork and toss it in the oven. If you don't like a crispy skin , you can wrap the spud in tin foil .
 When done,  cut it half lengthwise ,  I like to slice down with a butter knife, but I don't actually remove any potato.  add butter, and salt and pepper at this point. 

Before adding you topping,  I liked to add a little extra flavour,  a few sprinkles of chili powder and a little bit of cheese go down first.

Now the fun part!  Take your preheated casserole , and pour it over the potato.  No need to be tidy about it , this is a knife and fork kind of meal :)

Add some more cheese, and your ready for the oven again .  I leave it at 360F and cook for another 15 minutes. If your in a hurry you can switch it to broil or grill, and get the job done in 5 or less minutes.

Chicken Casserole Jacket Potato Done!!  So good , so easy, and a great way to use up almost any leftovers.  Watch out the plate will be hot!  Grab a steak knife and a fork and dig in!


I hope you enjoyed my first in, what I hope to be, a series of Creative Leftovers :)
Im still learning how to write out the recipes, as I don't use one. Also this is my first post since joining the Foodie Blog Roll.  So if you have any questions or comments , please either post below or send me an email. I do appreciate and respond to all feed back.  

Happy Cooking
Rich

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Rich. Amazing! You are doing such a really terrific job with your "Good Food Revolution". I am very impressed. I must admit to also having this strange ned to fill up the crock pot or the casserole dish or whatever. I think I need a smaller crock pot:D I love that you are coming up with creative ideas for using up leftovers. If I serve the same thing more than twice and make no changes my husband gets a bit irritable.

    I really like your "Reactions" buttons - what a great idea.

    Keep up the good work - I'll be here often. :D

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lindy! For all your nice words and support. I think Im going to try and get at least 2 , maybe 4 leftover posts a month:) Im always eating them.. and I too get REALLY bored eating the eact same thing two days running, even when it does taste great! If you ever need help with some, just ask .. you know where to find me ;) Im sure Ill be ab;le to give you a few options... maybe I could even turn it into a post :) Thanks again !
    Rich :))

    ReplyDelete