Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bacon & Mushroom Hummus - 10 with 5 , post #2

Okay , so this is probably the least healthy hummus I have ever made... lol I was trying to come up with something different , and unusual for the 10 recipes with 5 ingredients challenge. I knew I wanted to have a hummus in there somewhere.. and came up with the idea to skip the olive oil and use bacon :))  Everyone loves bacon right ??  I did include an apple in this snack , that makes it healthy again right ??

Ingredients required for a large cup full:

1 cup of cooked chick peas ( reserve a half cup of cooking water ) 
3 or 4 mushrooms - Your choice, I had white ones that needed to be used up 
3 or 4 pieces of bacon
2 cloves of garlic 
1 Granny Smith Apple

A note about chick peas, if your using dried ones, you will want to have them soaked overnight, before boiling them for about a hour.  If using canned ones ,  triple rinse , and then bring them to a boil for 15 minutes. For this one I used previously boiled , then frozen ones...  10 minutes in boiling water was all they needed.  

This is not my usual butcher's bacon , but the price was right :) and it tasted good.
When the bacon is almost finished ,  strain off the bacon grease , and reserve. 

I prefer my bacon crispy :) and give it a couple of minutes more in the dry pan. 



Assemble the ingredients - Mushrooms, Bacon, and fresh garlic. 

Give the mushrooms and garlic a quick sizzle, you can use the same pan you cooked the bacon in to save on dishes:)

Freshly boiled chick peas, for some reason I prefer to use them when hot.  

Put everything into your food processor, this one is perfect for making small batches. 

Blitz for a few minutes, adding in the bacon grease ( about a tablespoon )  and 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.  

Blend until you like the consistency, add salt and pepper to taste.  You shouldn't have to add very much salt as the bacon contains enough.  

Garnish with a few bacon bits :) 

I figured after using bacon to make the hummus , Id better bring something healthy to the dish.  

That's it, slice the apple , and dip away :) 
  

I hope you have enjoyed my second posting in the challenge.  This turned out surprisingly well,  I was expecting a bit of a greasy mess... but it wasn't at all.  It had a nice bacon & garlic flavour ,  I'm thinking, for future versions,  a cremini or portabello mushroom would have been a better choice over the white ...  but I'm very happy with it , and satisfied after my snack :)  





No comments:

Post a Comment