Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms 10with5 #6

Finally past the halfway mark on the 10 recipes with 5 ingredients  :) Good thing too , as there is only two weeks left to finish them.   This one is based on a dish I made last year ,  was a bacon wrapped mushroom , stuffed with cheese, peppers, hummus , garlic an onions..  a few to many ingredients for a 10w5 but I figured I could easily rework it.   I had some great bacon from the butchers, and was really looking forward to recreating what has become one of my favourite appetizers, sadly when I unwrapped the bacon , it had started to turn.  was probably edible, but I didn't want to chance it, and at the last moment switched out bacon for some cheese :))

Ingredients you will require :


1 package of portabello mushrooms ( 2 per person is plenty for a snack )
2 Red Onions
2 Mexican Sausages ( Or whatever flavour you like )
1 Red Pepper
6 year old cheddar, i used about 75g worth



The assembled ingredients , I used about an inch of the cheddar.  

Open the sausages , and remove the mince.  Wash and slice the onions and pepper,  remove the stems from the mushrooms and wash or brush clean .  

Add onions and pepper to the sausage, maybe a crack or two of black pepper :)   

Mix well, until its even.    Preheat your oven to 350F 

Arrange on a light greased backing tray .  This was a mistake !!!  They really need to be on a rack - See next pictures.  

Take small handfuls of the sausage mixture and form it onto the top of the mushroom. 

I had to rescue these from the oven , as mentioned I did not use a rack to start - MISTAKE - and saved these just in time from becoming a soggy mess.  

Back into the 350F oven, total cook time was a little over 30 minutes, a little longer than normal due to the mistake.   When they look cooked , add a large pinch of cheese to the top of each one, and put back in on broil for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.  

Remove from the oven , and let them cool for just a moment 

Pop them on a plate and serve :)) 


I was very happy with how these turned out , and if your going to try them at home you may want to wrap a strip of bacon around the whole thing before roasting :)) Adds that extra crunch and taste :))
I hope you've enjoyed the latest installment of the 10 with 5 challenge. Happy Cooking :))




1 comment:

  1. These Mushrooms looks soo good! I need to make some! I am inspired

    ReplyDelete