Sunday, February 27, 2011

Simple and Easy Pulled Pork : Good Food , Cheap

Ive been meaning to get to this one for well over a month,  I must admit it slipped through the cracks lol .  A request from a friend reminded me that I never did actually finish this post , just got as far as uploading the photos.  Now , like making chili , or gumbo there are a million different ways to go about making a pot of pulled pork and I'm sure more than a few people have a very strong opinion on it :))  What I'm making here , is the simple and easy method.. just a few minutes prep and the slow cooker does the rest !!  

What you will need :  Makes approx 16 servings 

1 Large smoked pork shoulder -                $8.00 for 8lbs on sale 
--  Please note , when using a commercially smoked piece of pork DO NOT add any more salt.  I made that mistake once , and it was almost inedible.  
5 or 6 medium red or white onions             $3.00 for 10lbs = $ 0.60
2 large utility carrots                                    $ 3.00 for 10lbs = $ 0.25 
6 or 7 cloves of garlic                                   $ 3.00 for 3 heads = $ 0.50
3 hot dried chili ( You decide the heat here ... I should have used 6 !  )  
Chili Powder 
Black Pepper
Hot Sauce & Worcestershire Sauce 
1L of homemade Beef or chicken stock - prefer the beef  ( 4 cups ) - 
                                                   Total Cost $ Under $10.00  , or about 65 cents a serving 

Assemble your ingredients :)  Wash and peel the carrots 

I like to give the pork shoulder a good rinse first , to help remove any excess salt.  Then score the fat to the meat , using about 3/4 to 1" squares. 
IN a hot skillet, quickly give all the sides a little colour :)) 

Meanwhile , back at the slow cooker. I added the rough chopped carrots , beef stock , dried chili , Lea & Perrins, and some Bourbon Street Bad hot sauce for a southern kick :)   I set it to high for the first hour , then its slow and low the rest of the time!  Add a tablespoon or two of chili powder too 



Add the pork shoulder to the pot, lol and this is my BIG crock pot.  You my need to move things around a little :) 

IN the same pan I browned the pork in, give the onions and garlic a quick sizzle. Add them to the pot, and cover the lid.  Check back in a hour. 

IT should look something like this , and start to smell amazing . 

I ended up letting mine simmer for a good 8 hours,  you can get away with 4 or 6 .. but I like 8 .. makes it just fall  apart ! 

Remove the carrots , and get in there with a couple of serving forks.  Shred it well. 

Of course a sample is required to test the seasoning :)) 

Sampling the pulled pork ... plain so I can judge the flavours :))Mmmmm good!!  

Later I added some extras, a little red pepper, onion and mushrooms, on a toasted garlic ciabatta roll!!  

I also turned some into a loaded jacket potato :))
http://richfletchersgoodfoodrevolution.blogspot.com/2011/01/creative-leftovers-pulled-pork-n-beans.html

That's it ,  Its only about twenty minutes worth of work , and the rest is just waiting :))  Sampling is allowed so its all good :)) So what do you think of my latest Good Food , Cheap post ?  Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)  Happy Cooking !


2 comments:

  1. Rich,
    THis looks amazing. You should include coleslaw. Here in the south, we sometimes like to put coleslaw on our pulled pork sandwich. I have dried Arbol chillies I got from the mexican store will they work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Veronica :)) Im not a big coleslaw fan , but if you like it .. I say go for it. I will be trying out a southern coleslaw recipe as soon as the I can get some local organic cabbage.
    Arbol chili ?? Ive never heard of that one, then again sometimes I truly feel like I am in the frozen North .. varieties/food options are improving every year ... slowly but surely/ Ill keep an eye out for that one. I would have to say m that since I havent met a chili i didnt like .. that it would be fine.

    ReplyDelete