Monday, December 13, 2010

Garlic Potato Latkes, my 1st attempt

Ive got to say,  prior to last night  I had only ever tried Latkes once,several years ago, and those were grey and tasteless.. and not very inspiring.  So imagine my surprise when I find myself making, and liking, them on a whim.. well actually after a conversation on FB about them.   True  to form, I couldn't even stick the recipe I had found on a fellow foodies site even though I usually try really hard  to follow it the first time :) So here is my first take on Latkes. 

To make 2 large Latkes you will need:
  • 1 large russet potato
  • 1 large egg ( Free range if you can )
  • 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • Sea Salt & Black Pepper  
  • Lea & Perrins 
  • Bourbon Street Bad Hot Sauce 
  • Oven Safe Frying Pan


First up grate your potato into a mixing bowl, I prefer the plastic grater for potato.  
Once grated add in the flour, garlic and salt and pepper. 



Lightly mix the egg with a few dashes of each  Lea & Perrins, and Hot Sauce pour over the potato and mix well.

 I'm missing a photo :( of the mixture, that should go here. Ill have to edit this in later . Just mix until the potato is evenly coated. 

Also at this point you will want to get an oven safe pan up to medium heat , with just enough Olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. 
  • Divide the mixture into two and add to the hot pan.  I used the back of the spatula to lightly press them down....  sizzle them for a few minutes on each side. 

    Drain the oil , and slip them into a 350F oven for 10 - 15 minutes. 

    That's it ! Simply remove them from the oven and serve :)
Just before I made these I was checking a few posts on them , almost everyone had a dollop of sour cream on them. So if you like it, it seems to be highly recommended. Personally I'm not a fan of sour cream, and opted to have it with a meatball casserole of sorts.  Which turned out very well , esp. the tomatoes which were from my first ever batch of home canned :)  I made the meatballs with free range beef, local eggs, hummus and a few other goodies, which Ill reveal on my next post. Enjoy :)

Happy Cooking ,
Rich

 . 

4 comments:

  1. My mother used to make something similar - she just called hers potato pancakes. Yours look delicious. I'm thinking a bit of grated cheese could be mixed into the "batter" also. :D Herbs too. All kinds of variations could be applied to this simple side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I meant to put that in the post somewhere , that they are also called potato pancakes. I really wanted to add more than the sauces and garlic, but wanted to try a simple version for my first ... but yes, Im thinking cheese & herbs for sure, also perhaps hummus, chilis, mushrooms, onion hmmmm the more i think about it the more Im liking this new recipe. :) Lots of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit of minced rosemary might be good.

    I seem to remember the "traditional" latkes recipe being served with apple sauce over the top. I don't think I would do that with these however!
    LOL! And I certainly think that you are on to something with adding all these lovely new flavor enhancers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rich, going to give these a try. I think I made these before but i did not put them in the oven...Thanks again....

    ReplyDelete