Monday, February 20, 2012

Rich's Kitchen Tips and Tricks 2

Over the years, I have amassed all sorts of little tricks and tips to make life easier, faster, or healthier in the kitchen .  I've decided to start sharing some of those with you .   This is the second post for this new series.    I hope you enjoy, or at least find something interesting or useful .


 
In a moment of not thinking.... I used a metal spatula on my enamelled cast iron pot :(( I was left with a series of smalll scratches all the way around.... So I seasoned it ,(Slather it in oil and bake in a hot oven for a couple of hours ) like i have done with all my other cast iron cookware. The oil adhered to all the scratches... so I think Ive saved it, time will tell I guess...   A year later , everything is just fine , not a spec of rust to be seen :))  
 
To test your eggs for freshness , simply place them in a bowl of water .. if they lay flat , they are 100% fresh, if they stand on one end ... edible, but must be fully cooked ! If they float ... compost or throw them away . These ones are just fine :)  
 
Save money, and your health by switching to pyrex and glass storage containers... I use my canning jars too, perfect for hot liquids ( gravy in this case ) and a nice bonus is you can reheat them in a toaster oven, less dishes and no microwaves involved ;)
 


That's it, short and to the point.
 If you have a tip you would like to share , please post it on my Facebook page 
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rich-Fletchers-Good-Food-Revolution/118986254815432  or send me an email to richsgoodfood@gmail.com   and Id be happy to test and share it :))

Eat Well and Be Healthy
Rich