Saturday, February 25, 2012

Chili Beef Loaded Poutine

I have to start by saying that I love a good proper poutine ,  nice gravy , well cooked chips ( fries ) , and squeaky cheddar cheese curds, best served in a paper bowl , and enjoyed with a plastic fork.  I honestly believe they taste better when someone else makes it for you!  Hahahaha  every once in a while I try at home... so far 3 not so amazing creations.    Then I tried again after a two year break ...  and Wow!  I finally nailed it ! Hahahaha so very far from traditional , but.. it was GOOD!!   Here is how I made it :)) It was mostly all leftovers from a couple of different meals too :))
Enjoy!  




The Leftovers :)   Pan gravy, caramelized onions and mushrooms, and a mildly spicy chili spiced ground beef . Here is a link to make my basic gravy :)
http://richfletchersgoodfoodrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/12/who-doesnt-love-gravy.html

First up , make the chips ...  I MUCH prefer them well done
Here is how to make my chips :)
http://richfletchersgoodfoodrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/12/easy-hand-cut-chips.html

The leftovers...  almost forgot about the roasted red peppers :))   I spread everything out, poured the gravy into pyrex  .. and into the toaster oven it all went , at 325 - 350 for about 20 minutes ( same time as the chips took basically )




Once the topping were hot , Its as simple as laying them out over the chips ... 

I was out of cheddar cheese curds, so grated mozzarella and 6 year old cheddar were subbed instead  :)) 

Back into the oven for 2 minutes on broil to melt the cheeses :) Not really required ...  but i like it!  Hahaha 

Close up - Ready for the Gravy :) 

For less than a cup of gravy , it sure covered alot!  MmmmMmmm 

Time to grab a plastic fork, and dig in to my Chili Beef Poutine :)) 





So, what did you think ?   I have tried many, many different poutine over the years! This one would easily make my top ten list , maybe even top 5 .   Success finally hahaha !!
It took me like 10 years to be accustomed to it , and  to not think its was insane .... Being English, I put gravy on everything EXCEPT my chips lol ! Once i tried it though, I have never looked back.   I could even judge a restaurant on how they prep the poutine.  It's not as easy as it sounds...

The three main components have to be in sync for it to work , the toppings are extras.. but you need good chips, with good cheese , and topped by a good gravy , any less and it just doesn't work .... I'm mean who likes soggy fries?  or thin gravy ?  greasy cheese ? no thanks !  

Eat Well & Be Happy
Rich

2 comments:

  1. I asked you about these last year and I still haven't tried them. Don't know why, but I suspect that, like you in the beginning it's the gravy over the fries. We have something sort of like it here in the states called "Chili Cheese Fries." FFries, chili, and cheese melted on top. I haven't tried those yet either. LOL! I think I would go the gravy first before he US version. Interestingly, many of the Peruvian dishes I have tried had chips in them! Totally different from what you have here!!! And GOOD too! So, I guess I need to get over my fear of gravy on chips. Yes?
    ~ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chili cheese fries Lynda:) now lol.. growing up we had gravy on everything except chips.. was odd. Try making gravy on the side, and dip your chips in it ?? It took me YEARS to try it ... with just gravy , poutine was many more years after that ! lol Now I love it :))

      Delete