Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sunny Side Up Veggie Naan Bread

,I made a vegetarian dish ? On purpose ?  Wow!! How life has changed for me over the last few years. Even a year ago, cooking without meat was unheard of...   but that is a story for another day :)

So here we go,  Ill try to keep the instructions to a minimum and let the pictures do most of the talking.
I'm going to start trying Meatless Mondays soon , and seeing as I'm used to the vegetables being a side, not a main. I figured I better start trying a few ideas out.  So, this is my first on purpose vegetarian dish:


The Ingredients: S&P,L&P, red onions & pepper, mushroom's, farm fresh egg,  chili pepper, garlic clove, mozzarella and 5 year old cheddar, butter and a Whole Wheat Naan Bread.







Slice the red onions your favourite way, an add to a med/hot pan with a pat of butter. Let these sizzle while you you slice the mushrooms.
 






Add the sliced mushrooms( You can use your favourite ) I  happened to have white and cremini. Add a good splash of Worcestershire sauce. Let this sizzle while you work on the garlic and chili pepper.
 

With a pinch of coarse sea salt ,  finely dice the garlic and chili together .  I find the salt brings out more flavours, it is optional.
 


Next up add sliced red pepper to the pan, and create a small opening in the middle.  I like to give the garlic/chili a little action right on the pan before mixing it thru.  I also added a couple of pinches of dried basil and a small pat of butter at this point.
 


Prepare your Naan bread by spraying with olive , I happen to have made a garlic infused oil for just these occasions. A small sprinkle of chili powder and basil.  Then lightly toast in a 350F oven for about 8 minutes.  ( keep and eye on it , it is flat bread and can burn easily )
 

By the time your Naan bread is toasty ( not crispy! ) Your veggies should be ready, but this part is up to you. For this dish I kept them in a few minutes longer to make them extra soft .  But a quick pan fry would add some nice crunch.
A couple of pinches of cheese under the veggies will help them stick.


Add your cheese on the veggie mix, and then top with a farm fresh egg.  I like to crack the egg into a glass first then pour it over the vegetables. 


I slid the Naan bread onto an oven safe plate before putting it back into the middle of a  350F oven for approximately 10 minutes.  Best to set a timer for about 7 then just watch and wait until your egg is cooked the way you like it.  I prefer runny. 

Just like that!!  Perfect egg,  the mushrooms, onions, garlic and peppers turned out great . 

So there you have it,  my first official post, and my first vegetarian dish.  I have to note I was quite pleased with this. Although I did miss the some meat... I will be making this again ,next time I think Ill add some bean paste or hummus to it to help add some extra protein and fibre.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, Ill go first lol. So what did you think ? Do you like the format? ( Im sure im going to be experimenting with a few different styles ) So please speak up if you see something you like or don't like. Im thinking this grey has to go.
    Happy Cooking
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula, I was wondering about that .. I dont normally put eggs on dishes .. in them sure :) lol Worked out well I have to say :)

    ReplyDelete