Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sausage n Mushroom Frittata

I love making frittata's !  They are such a simple and easy way to use up leftovers, you can make a personal sized one  or  a quick meal for 4 or 6 people .   As for ingredients the options are endless..  for me ,  Cheese and Eggs are the only must have .. well maybe garlic too!   

This season, we have a new vendor at the Farmers Market , CrosswindFarms :) A local goat farm , that specializes in goat cheeses ..  and even sell some of the meat.  I ended up with some of their sausages... and what better way to use up the extras than to make a frittata! ! 

You will need an oven safe frying pan for this dish :)
Start off by prepping your veggies ..  Mushrooms, Onions,  Peppers, Broccoli, Grape Tomatoes ..  

Start off with the mushrooms and onions, a nice pat of butter will help out here , just long enough to get some colour on them . 

Finish chopping everything while that is happening . Bite sized is best . The Goats sausage was very good, nice texture and very meaty !
Throw whatever you like for seasoning in with the veggies, I went with chili powder and basil  :) 


Meanwhile... the cheese!   Todays choices were Medium Cheddar , Grana Padano and mozzarella .  

Once your veggies are sauteed , add the chopped , cooked sausage ( Keep broccoli and tomatoes for later ) then its time to add the eggs, I very lightly whisked 7 large eggs...  I like the layers of yellow and white , if you dont , whisk well!     Pour over the veggies and sausage.  Let the pan sit for 2 or 3 minutes to set the edges , cover with cheeses ,   then into a 350F oven .. 

After about 7 minutes ..   Its time to add the final ingredients ...  Chopped broccoli and halved grape tomatoes ... back into the oven for 10 minutes. 

and it should come out looking like this!!  Hahaha 

Mmmm look at all that goodness!  

Thats it, slice and serve ... went well with a tomato/cucumber/radish salad :)) 

Frittatas also make for great leftovers , either reheated , or even cold... so dont worry about making extra!!  


So simply , you should be eating with in 30 minutes of starting out!   I hope I have all the steps covered for you , if I missed anything ... just ask ! Ill be happy to fill in the blanks !   I havent followed a  recipe in a very long time :)

Peace, Love and Good Food
Enjoy !

13 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love frittatas - can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, thank you and enjoy Stephanie :)) Anything goes for ingredients, but the method stays the same :))

      Delete
  2. Rich, You already know I love fritatas with all the fresh eggs I need to use up here! Where did you find goat sausage? It sounds delicious, and it is very hard to find anywhere here. I had to chuckle about your light mixing the eggs, because I thought I was the only one who did that. BTW, do you ever add a bit of shredded cheese to your eggs? I think it helps them to puff up a bit more. What say you? ~ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to Lynda ... but have since stopped . Not sure why lol ! Ill have to add some to the next one and see why i did :) I do know adding an egg to ricotta in lasagna makes them fluffy ( Ive tried it and really didnt like it )

      Delete
  3. Um, your spaminator has got to go!!! LOL! A PICTURE and a word? It's hard enough to read the words, but the pictures are impossible to make out. I refreshed the picture words 4 times before I found one I could identify. Sheesh!

    Pretty please, with your favorite aged cheese on top?
    Lynda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldnt have a spaminator ? ... I could have sworn that was turned off :) LOL Maybe you need a blogspot page lol , would make life easier . I have NO problems with wordpress now that i have an account ( even if i dont use it ! hehehe ) Ill try and find the settings :))

      Delete
  4. This will be perfect for when the veggies start coming out of the garden. Thank you for linking to Foodie Friends Friday. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love frittatas and your pictures make them look mouth watering.. Thanks for linking this recipe to foodie friends friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! Would love to have one for dinner! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back next week and post another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for coming back this week Rich....Always nice to see you at foodie friends friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete